Built in the fifteenth century, the property was acquired in the mid sixteenth century by Henry Bacon who extended this range with the half-timber Tudor courtyard mansion which surrounds it. Bacon was a wealthy worsted wool merchant, Sheriff and later Mayor of Norwich. He famously hosted the Earl of Warwick at the house during Kett's Rebellion in the summer of 1549 - an occasion commemorated on the blue plaque which adorns the south range.
Kett's Rebellion was a revolt in Norfolk during the reign of Edward VI, largely in response to the enclosure of land. The rebels at their peak numbered over 16,000 and were able to storm the city of Norwich and effectively hold the surrounding area. King Edward VI sent the trusted Earl of Warwick to Norwich in a second attempt to to put down the rebellion. Bacon bravely sheltered Warwick in the house on the eve of the definitive battle of the rebellion and, by installing Warwick's arms above his door, made clear his allegiance.
The revolt was eventually put down at the cost of 2,000 lives and the house, unlike many others, was spared from being torched by the rebels. A portrait of Warwick, also styled as John Dudley Duke of Northumberland, hangs in the drawing room. The Sheriff's House was later acquired by another wealthy merchant in the early seventeenth century, who himself went on to be Mayor of Norwich and the earliest Norfolk Freemason's Lodge was held here in 1724 and in 1742.
The house retains much of its original medieval interior architecture, notably the stunning stone decorative arch in the entrance hall and the impressive timbers in the upstairs bedrooms which once formed a part of the ceiling of the Great Hall. It sits in Colegate; the ancient heart of Norwich. Founded by the Anglo Saxons who settled in Norwich around 720 AD, the town became wealthy enough to attract Viking raiders who settled in Norwich around 870. Viking place names are common in this part of Norwich - the suffix ‘-gate’ itself means ‘street’ in old Norse. Norwich benefited from these great sea traders and went on to be be one of England's great trading centres, thanks to the buoyant wool trade. The trade generated immense wealth for the city and its merchants, leading to the building and rebuilding of Norwich's many medieval churches, halls and indeed Bacon House itself.
A 4-bedroom, three-storey Grade II* listed medieval townhouse located in Norwich City Centre, featuring it’s original Great Hall, kitchen, bathroom and drawing room. This beautiful home features many surviving medieval features and is rich in history.
A magnificent stone arch greets you as you enter the front door and walk into the Great Hall. The Great Hall connects the kitchen, drawing room and dining area and also features a grand wooden staircase leading up to the first floor bedrooms.
On the second floor there are two large double bedrooms, one with a king-size bed and one with a double bed. Both bedrooms feature exposed medieval timber beams, which once formed the ceiling of the Great Hall.